Thursday, December 4, 2008

Cyberbullying

After receiving a message in October 2006, Megan Meier killed herself. The message was sent from a Missouri woman, Lori Drew, who disguised herself as a teenage boy. “Andrew M. Grossman, senior legal policy analyst for the Heritage Foundation, said the possibility of being prosecuted for online misrepresentation, while remote, should worry users nonetheless.” Andrew understands that people need to protect themselves from any online criminals.
This is a violation of freedom of speech. Personally, I think that Megan should’ve not been talking to people she doesn’t know. She should have more common sense and not talk to strangers. If someone told me that the world would be a better place without me, I’d simply just block that person and never talk to them again. If someone tries or feels any need to harass me, I would just delete them out of all my buddy lists and contacts. If that doesn’t work, I’d change my phone number, screen name, and make a fake identity. I’d use a code of language that only my true friends and family members know. Lori Drew probably had a good reason towards why she said that offensive statement. If she didn’t have any good reason, then she just lacks common sense. During her years in prison, I hope Lori understands and learns a value lesson from what she did. Lastly, lying about your identity shouldn’t be a crime because you’re just protecting yourself from people who negatively impact the world, like Lori Drew.

No comments: